Monday, August 11, 2008

Poetry Notebooks

Lots of teachers have poetry folders for their students. I did. I gave all my students a folder with brads one year. That was a mess! The next year, I bought 70 count notebooks and lots of glue sticks. This worked so much better. I gave my students shrunken down copies that fit on their sized paper. The words were big enough to big, and small enough to fit on their paper without sticking out all over the place. The students glued their poem in before lunch. They went to lunch and recess. We came back from lunch, read the chart paper, then the students decorated their own poem in their own notebook. It worked really well.
On other days, the kids then read their poetry book all week for 5-8 minutes at the start of Self Selected Reading block. It worked for me.

No comments: